News (Proprietary)
Children killed in mass shooting at birthday party in Stockton, California
30+ min ago (198+ words) Sunday 30 November 2025 05:42, UK Children are among the fatalities in a mass shooting at a child's birthday party in California. Police said four people had died and 10 were wounded in the incident in Stockton, about 60 miles east of San Francisco. Officers were called to a banquet hall just before 6pm local time (2am UK time) on Saturday and local district attorney Ron Freitas said children were among the dead. He said the attacker was still at large. "We can confirm at this time that approximately 14 individuals were struck by gunfire, and four victims have beenconfirmed deceased," San Joaquin County Sheriff's Office said on X. The post said early indications suggest it could be a "targeted incident" but that information remains limited. Police have so far not disclosed the attacker's identity and the motive is unclear. Girl, 13, arrested after teenager shot dead in Los Angeles…...
Hong Kong: Death toll in high-rise fire rises to 146 as more bodies found in burned buildings
1+ hour, 20+ min ago (227+ words) Sunday 30 November 2025 09:51, UK The death toll from a fire that tore through a Hong Kong apartment complex has risen. Investigators are searching for bodies in the residential towers of Wang Fuk Court, where the blaze erupted on Wednesday. Authorities say 146 bodies have now been found, rising from a previous reported total of 128. Shuk-yin Tsang, the head of the Hong Kong police casualty unit, said another 100 people remained unaccounted for. Flames spread through seven of the eight towers of the complex, and the fire was not fully extinguished until Friday morning. Police said they had completed searches through four of the affected buildings. But a city official said they expected the search process to take three to four weeks. Almost 280 people missing as huge fire engulfs Hong Kong flats - dozens confirmed dead Taiwan to prepare for combat by 2027, president says - as…...
Lammy says justice reforms will reduce victims' suffering - as right to jury trial set to go in some cases
2+ hour, 10+ min ago (554+ words) Shadow justice secretary Robert Jenrick hits out at the expected changes, saying Britons shouldn't lose "ancient liberties", but Mr Lammy insists reforms are vital to deliver for victims and cut a huge crown court backlog. Sunday 30 November 2025 06:23, UK Victims will be put "front and centre" in reforms to be announced this week, the justice secretary has said, amid reports jury trials will be scrapped in some cases. Sky News understands ministers have already been briefed on the changes, which would see a judge decide most cases on their own except for murder, rape or manslaughter - or those in the "public interest". The Ministry of Justice (MoJ) said the reforms would speed up justice and save victims from "years of torment and delay". Nearly 80,000 cases are currently waiting to be heard in crown courts, but a bid to limit the right…...
'Of course I didn't' lie about state of public finances, Chancellor Rachel Reeves insists to Sky News
2+ hour, 20+ min ago (321+ words) Sunday 30 November 2025 08:50, UK The chancellor has insisted to Sky News that she did not lie to the public about the state of the public finances ahead of the budget. Rachel Reeves is facing widespread accusations that in a speech from Downing Street on 4 November in which she laid the groundwork for tax rises, she lied about the state of the public finances. Asked directly by Sky's Trevor Phillips if she lied, she said: "Of course I didn't." Ms Reeves said the decision by the independent Office for Budget Responsibility (OBR) to review and downgrade productivity meant that the forecast for tax receipts was "16bn lower than expected, and said she needed tax rises to create more fiscal headroom to reassure the financial markets and create stability in the economy. But coupled with other changes in the fiscal forecast, the chancellor knew…...
Questions over evidence used by UK police to ban Maccabi Tel Aviv fans from Aston Villa match
5+ hour, 46+ min ago (1309+ words) It comes as Aston Villa's Europa League game against BSC Young Boys last Thursday was classified as "medium risk", despite disciplinary cases against the Swiss club. Sunday 30 November 2025 03:16, UK West Midlands Police is facing growing scrutiny over the information used to ban Maccabi Tel Aviv supporters from Aston Villa, with counterparts in Amsterdam disputing the evidence it provided on high-profile incidents involving the Israeli club's fan base. The ban was imposed after the force in Birmingham concluded that the visit of Maccabi was too "high risk" to allow visiting fans amid inflamed community tensions over the Gaza war. And the decision will be challenged by the Home Affairs Select Committee on Monday when leaders from the force are questioned by MPs. It comes as Sky News can reveal officers only classified Thursday's Europa League match between Aston Villa and BSC…...
'A butcher who destroyed my life': Surgeon may never return to UK to face justice over 'botched' operations
5+ hour, 46+ min ago (846+ words) Former NHS Tayside neurosurgeon Sam Eljamel is originally from Libya, where he is believed to be working now. Sunday 30 November 2025 05:28, UK A disgraced surgeon accused of harming patients is unlikely to ever return from Libya to face justice, a lawyer familiar with the country's legal system has told Sky News. Former NHS Tayside neurosurgeon Sam Eljamel is originally from Libya and is believed to be operating there now. Suspended from his work at a hospital in Dundee in 2013, Eljamel is accused by dozens of former patients of carrying out life-changing "botched" brain and spinal operations. The claims include removing the wrong body parts. A public inquiry is under way and Police Scotland is examining up to 200 patient cases as part of an ongoing criminal investigation. 'Paralysed by my surgeon' Annemarie Pymm, a former tax worker, lives in Perth with her…...
Ukraine war latest: Ukrainian delegation in US for Trump peace plan talks as deadly Russian strikes hit Kyiv for second night in a row
7+ hour, 54+ min ago (1601+ words) Work on Donald Trump's Ukraine peace plan continues today as Ukrainian delegates will meet US negotiators Marco Rubio, Steve Witkoff and Jared Kushner for talks. Meanwhile, Russia again hit Kyiv in a deadly overnight attack. Follow the latest. Sunday 30 November 2025 08:17, UK Kazakhstan's foreign ministry has issued a scathing critique of a Ukrainian naval drone attack on the Russian terminal of the Caspian Pipeline Consortium. The pipeline had to halt operations yesterday after one of its moorings was significantly damaged in the strike. Kazakhstan's foreign ministry said it was protesting "over yet another deliberate attack on the critical infrastructure of the international Caspian Pipeline Consortium in the waters of the Port of Novorossiysk"." "This incident marks the third act of aggression against an exclusively civilian facility whose operation is safeguarded by norms of international law," the ministry said." Ukraine has stepped…...
Ukrainian officials head to US for peace talks - while dramatic footage shows Russian oil tanker being hit
8+ hour, 7+ min ago (605+ words) Volodymyr Zelenskyy says his country's delegation is looking to "swiftly and substantively work out the steps needed to end the war" with Donald Trump's top officials. Saturday 29 November 2025 23:41, UK Ukraine's representatives are preparing for renewed peace talks in the US, while dramatic footage has shown Russian tankers being hit by Ukrainian naval drones. On Saturday night, Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy said a delegation headed by national security chief Rustem Umerov was on its way to "swiftly and substantively work out the steps needed to end the war." They were set to be met in Florida by US secretary of state Marco Rubio, Donald Trump's special envoy Steve Witkoff and the US president's son-in-law Jared Kushner, a senior US official told Reuters news agency. After the US-Ukraine talks, a US delegation is expected to travel to Moscow for talks with Russian…...
Statement by the Amsterdam Police - 27 November 2025
8+ hour, 48+ min ago (873+ words) Sunday 30 November 2025 03:01, UK The Amsterdam Police has issued a statement regarding the violent clashes in the city during and around Ajax's Europa League tie against Maccabi Tel Aviv in November 2024. Here is the statement in full: The Amsterdam police and the West Midlands Police spoke during a video meeting in the first week of October. The subject of the conversation was the risk of having Maccabi supporters visiting the city of Birmingham for a European football match. The Amsterdam police made clear that among Maccabi supporters there were 500-800 ultras visiting the city in November 2024. Like other European ultra groups, these fans were organised and, on some occasions, seemed willing to fight. The Amsterdam police also stated that a lot of disorder in those days were the result of different groups provoking each other. Ukrainian officials head to US for peace…...
Police given more time to question man arrested over Heaton Park synagogue attack
11+ hour, 57+ min ago (451+ words) The 31-year-old can now be held until Thursday, Greater Manchester Police said. Saturday 29 November 2025 21:55, UK Police investigating the attack on the Heaton Park synagogue, in which two people died, have been given more time to question a man arrested on suspicion of terror offences. The man, 31, can now be held in custody for up to seven days from his arrest on Thursday, Greater Manchester Police said in a statement on Saturday afternoon. Seven people have been arrested over last month's attack at the Heaton Park Hebrew Synagogue in Crumpsall. Jihad al Shamie, a Syrian-born UK citizen, drove his car at worshippers gathering on the Jewish holy day of Yom Kippur, before attacking others with a knife and trying to storm inside. Armed police fatally shot al Shamie after he ran towards officers "aggressively" while carrying a knife and what police…...